HERB - Pickles

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Thu Nov 5 13:28:40 PST 1998

OK, I tried this one out, and my kids say they're delicious (I don't care for
pickles myself).  So I thought it might be worth sharing, these could probably
be canned as presents, though I guess it is a little late for cucumbers most
other places <G>.

"TO PRESERVE COWCUMBERS ALL THE YEERE.  (DELIGHTES FOR LADIES, Sir Hugh Plat,
1609)

You may take a gallon of faire water, and a pottle of veriuyce, and a pinte of
bay salt, and a handfull of greene Fennell or Dill:  boile it a little, and
when it is cold put it into a barrell, and then put your Cowcumbers into that
pickle, and you shall keepe them all the yeere."
(notes - A pottle is 4 pints.  Bay salt is vague, I used sea salt)

I divided the quantity in half, putting a half gallon of water, a quart of
apple cider vinegar (verjuice is hard to find), a cup of sea salt and a couple
of tablespoons of dill and put them into a pot.  Slowly, I brought it to a low
boil, then removed it from the heat.  When it cooled, I put the brine in a
gallon jar, and added several sliced up cucumbers.  I left it out on the
counter overnight, then stored it in the fridge.  That was about 10 - 12 days
ago, we just opened them for the first time.  I'll have my husband test them
tonight and tell me how close they are to modern pickles.

Raisya