HERB - Documentation and herbs

nweders@mail.utexas.edu nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Nov 14 09:23:04 PST 1998

Good morning,

After making a few observations about documenting herbal teas used in
period, I thought I would explain a couple of points.  Often as a Laurel, I
am asked to judge/examine/ whatever something in the range of herbs -
whether ointments, teas, recently alcohol.  What I discovered in talking to
many of them, most herbalists who display/enter list the herbal or
someone's redacted/modern herbal combination.  (Before I hear, There are
exceptions.)  What I have started doing is finding non-herbal, cookbooks
sources that discuss the use of herbs.... how were they used and why.
Obviously, medincial and culinary are easy... but I thought I'd share a few
things I have found in the Anglos-Saxon book I've been reading....

This is from Anne Hagen's A second Handbook of Anglo-Saxon Food & Drink,
Production and Distribution.  Anglo-Saxon Books. 1995

pg. 235 "Wort" drinks, mentioned so often in leechdoms were presumably a
standard form or drink: herb teas or tisanes made by infusing dried or
fresh leaves or flowers in boiling water.  The compiler did not consider it
necessary to give instructions on making them: one leechdom states simply
"give a wort drink" (sele wyrtdrenc). Others just use an adjective: smede
(smooth), leohte (light), scearp (sharp), strangne (strong) to indicate the
kind of wort drink to be given, or specify a 'suitable' wort drink.

pg 236 Sage, horehound, mint, raspberry and blackberry leaves, woodruff,
lime, chamomile, and rose flowers have traditionally been used to make teas
and flower waters.

There's more but I don't know if anyone is interested.  I'm fascinated with
what herbs were used when and how.... Were there popular ones, like the St.
John's Wort craze that's going on now.  How were they used and when?  It's
one thing to know which herbs were grown  and to me it's also interesting
in knowing the how. It's a much more interesting read than the fact that
you used Gerard's or Banckes Herbals for proof that an herb existed and was
used as a purgative.  What would have my persona used as opposed to what
would a Norsewoman used?  The Anglo Saxons, whom I'm fascnated with
currently, used all manner of things to cure people would a Tudor woman
living in London have used the same?

thanking you for the time,
Clare