HERB - soap with stuff in it

Ceridwen ceridwen at ccgnv.net
Fri Nov 20 11:18:58 PST 1998

 Hugh Platt's "Delights for Ladies"  (1609) has  one:

3. A ball to take out stains from linnen.
    Take foure ounces of white hard Sope: beat it in a mortar with two small
Lemmons sliced, and as much roch Allome as an hasell nut: roule it up in a ball:
rub the staine therewith: and after, fetch it out with warm water, if need be.

I made these last Spring, after noticing the recipe was very nearly the same as
my grandmother's way of getting stains out of white clothes. She would rub the
stain with homemade soap, saturate it with lemon juce and sprinkle salt on it,
then let it stand for an hour or so (while the wash water was heating). I used a
more modern method, though, grating the soap, and jucing the lemon, and adding
the zest from the peel as well. The one ball I have left still smells like a
fresh lemon, and it works like a charm!

Ceridwen