HERB - Jasmine's one bar soap recipes

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Tue Nov 24 08:12:17 PST 1998

Friends,

Here are some test soap recipes I promised that people can use when
experimenting with herbal and herbal essence additions to
assist them in their recreational endeavors (i.e. SCA research
at its finest!). Be careful with this stuff. Don't blindly make
soap because you think you can. Be sure you can. This weekend
I made an 11 pound batch using every possible safety procedure I
know and I *still* got three lye burns, one on my face and one
on each forearm, even though I was wearing long sleeves, heavy
rubber gloves, and safety glasses.

My measures are pretty exact and are intended to have very
close to 5% excess fat/oil when the saponification process is
done. You can increase the percentage a bit as you decrease the
lye in small increments (even increments as small as 1/100th of
an ounce). I can help you increase or decrease this amount as
needed. If anyone would like to learn the calculations, I'd be happy
to teach you how, assuming you can follow the logic of someone
who abhors simple math. :)

Now, you'll notice I didn't include anything for shortening bars.
You'll find a shortening recipe occasionally on the net called
"Tony's No Fail Soap." Don't use it. The quality & makeup
of shortening varies widely throughout the US and the world.
There's simply no good way to determine what percentages of
ingredients will exist in the shortening in your area and even
then, the brand you buy will cause changes in your calculations.

The last recipe is the one I use the most often and the
olive oil test bar is the one I use second most for testing.
If you have some other oil I've not listed here or some
combination you'd like to see, I can either tell you or show
you. Just let me know. -- Jasmine

PS: One fluid ounce (US) equals a eeny weeny bit more than 2
tablespoons of liquid (US). 4 fluid ounces (US) equals 1/2
cup (US).

All Tallow Test Bar
-------------------
8 ounces tallow (measured when solid)
3 fluid ounces water (distilled or filtered)
1.07 ounces sodium hydroxide (by weight)

All Lard Test Bar
-----------------
8 ounces lard (by weight)
3 fluid ounces water (distilled or filtered)
1.05 ounces sodium hydroxide (by weight)

All Canola Oil Test Bar
-----------------------
8 ounces canola oil (by weight)
3 fluid ounces water (distilled or filtered)
1.05 ounces sodium hydroxide (by weight)

All Peanut Oil Test Bar
-----------------------
8 ounces peanut oil (by weight; I use blended, not extra virgin)
3 fluid ounces water (distilled or filtered)
1.03 ounces sodium hyrdroxide (by weight)

All Safflower Oil Test Bar
--------------------------
8 ounces safflower oil (by weight; I use blended, not extra virgin)
3 fluid ounces water (distilled or filtered)
1.03 ounces sodium hyrdroxide (by weight)

All Olive Oil Test Bar
8 ounces olive oil (by weight; I use blended or pomace,
  not extra virgin olive oil)
3 fluid ounces water (distilled or filtered)
1.03 ounces sodium hyrdroxide (by weight)

Olive, Coconut, & Palm Oil Test Bar