HERB - Soap-soda ash(LONG)

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Wed Nov 25 09:47:30 PST 1998

	Since this topic is also being discussed on the soap list I read, I thought
I'd send some of their discussions this direction........ Maybe one of the
ideas will help! ;-)

		Ldy Diana

*******************
Hi Everyone,
I'm on the digest, so I don't jump in much.  I wanted to contribute to the
soda ash discussion.
Last year at this time I had a terrible soda ash problem.  I experimented
with as many variables as I could and here's what I suggest to those of you
struggling with it now:
*Use your stick blender sparingly
*Mix at temps between 105-115
*Here's the weird one I don't think I've seen contributed. (I don't insulate
my soap, I put it in the oven.  I heartily recommend this procedure if you
haven't tried it yet)  Just before you combine the oil and sodium solution,
place a pan of boiling water in the bottom of the oven.  Don't turn the oven
on!  Close the oven door and in the time it takes you to finish your batch,
the oven is ready.  Is it the extra warmth or the humidity?  I haven't
decided yet but I don't fuss with saran wrap anymore and this has worked
100% for me since.

There's more to this ash problem than oxygen exposure.  Someday maybe we'll
collectively figure it out.
HTH and HAPPY THANKSGIVING,
Claudia
Anderson Soap Works

*******************

Claudia.....

Ya know....i used to get a lot of ash before i started using Palm
oil....especially on the bars that were straight Crisco Shortening.  It would
appear on ALL sides, cut edges and top (which i always do  the saran wrap
thing).  I insulate after i pour and then cover after the bars are sliced.
Which leads me to believe it may be the combination of oils and  nothing more.
Now with the palm, i have none.  (recipe is  40 oz. palm, 20 olive,
 20  oz. coconut and superfat with shea and castor)

Anyone else with ideas???

Hugs,  Jill in Michigan

*******************

I use Palm Oil, too, and still have the soda ash problem.  The only batch I
haven't had it with is the latest batch & I covered that with saran wrap
about 5 minutes after I poured into the mold.  I gently layed the wrap
directly onto the soap & tucked it into the corners as best I could.  I
insulated (but peeked several times) for 24 hrs & then cut (I'm too
impatient to wait much longer).  Didn't put the wrap back on the soap after
cutting, just layed it on the racks to dry.  So far, no ash.  My soap
kitchen is in my laundry room so don't have an oven down there (yet!) so
it's easier for me to wrap with saran than risk dumping a whole mold of
soap getting it up the basement stairs.  The oven thing sounds interesting.

Tammy Duriavich
Clean Hands, Warm Heart...
   Handmade Soaps & Bath Products
email: murph at xsite.net

*******************

>The only batch I
>haven't had it with is the latest batch & I covered that with saran wrap
>about 5 minutes after I poured into the mold.

In my experience this has proved true for me too. Laying plastic-
wrap over the surface of the raw soap prevents soda ash everytime.
As mentioned above it's a good idea to wait those 5 extra minutes after
pouring before covering because it allows the soap to set up a bit so it's
easier to get all of the wrinkles out of the plastic wrap.

Kind regards,
Christie

l use Palm Oil in my GMS (Goat's Milk Soap) - and I do have soda ash on the
exposed side of
my molded bar!!!  Ends that theory!!!!!!  However, it does not bother
me, nor has it influenced the sales.  Just my 2 cents worth!  Dottie
--
Home of Capri-Dot's Nubians,
Tiny Blessings Dwarf Nubians,