HERB - Banckes herbal question

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Mon Nov 30 14:23:33 PST 1998

jadwiga kindly responded to my oddball question with:

>Banckes herbal is organized by plants, but a couple of the plants are
>listed twice... The recipes are given in the plant entries.

Which mirrors the organization of Agnus Castus, as I suspected. I
think the duplicated plants are even in AC, as well, but the copy
I have has taken a back seat on my reading list to Markham's text
temporarily. (And who wouldn't do the same. Middle English with the
linguistic characters in it is a bi*** to read. At least Markham's is
a little closer to what we read now. Oh, my aching eyes. I also read
two translations of the Neijing Suwen over the weekend. Ouchie.)

>The editor of the volume I've borrowed from the library believes that two
>different authors worked on the volume, which accounts for hte doubled
>entries.

Did the copy you borrowed indicate which edition of Banckes was described?
Any indication whether it was a late or early copy? Also, if I can pester
you some more, which version did you get from the library? I wonder if
it's the same one I requested.

The reason I ask is that M.R. Best, editor for the edition of Markham's
"The English Housewife" suspects that Markham was working from a personal
copy of Banckes herbal and that it was a late edition of said herbal.
Best also mentions that considerable additions were made to Banckes
from initial printed version to the version used by Markham.

I can see my 1999 book budget blown in a big hurry next year if Santa
Claus and the Good Fairy don't bring me some of the ones that I've
kindly hinted at for Soltice and Christmad gifts. :)

jasmine