HERB - Austin's herb festival

Mary Temple noxcat at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 5 13:50:26 PDT 1998

Those of you who didn't go to the Austin Herb Festival this past
Saturday sure missed out! I got some great finds (and deals). Saffron
bulbs 3 for $2. (I'll be happy to share if mine reproduce) Saffron spice
- $30 worth for $6. Dill with swallowtail eggs on it. (And advice from a
botanist on how to "raise" the swallowtail caterpillars to butterflies
without sacrificing the dill. So I got a science project out of it too!)
And a bay laurel for $2.

Now for my questions: does anyone have advice on growing the bay? It'll
be in a container, and will possibly spend some time inside, where it
may be nibbled by cats. (Unless it's toxic to them or they don't like
it. Hopefully they won't like it.) How does one propagate it? Has anyone
ever tried?

And I'd also love on tips on growing the patchouli. I've not had much
luck in the past - I've killed the previous two. Again, it'll be in a
container.

Many thanks in advance,

Katerine Rowley
Bryn Gwlad, Ansteorra