HERB - Austin's herb festival

Paul Gieri dragon at lemoorenet.com
Tue Oct 6 05:08:30 PDT 1998

Mary Temple wrote:

> Now for my questions: does anyone have advice on growing the bay? It'll
> be in a container, and will possibly spend some time inside, where it
> may be nibbled by cats. (Unless it's toxic to them or they don't like
> it. Hopefully they won't like it.) How does one propagate it? Has anyone ever tried?

Mary, my bay laurel is outdoors in the ground.  Summers are very hot and
dry and winters can be cold (though we don't get much freezing)and
sometimes wet (like last year).  In four years it has gotten to about 20
feet.  It puts out sucker growth regularly which you can cut back to the
parent plant and then root.  It also berries every year but I haven't
tried planting those.  I hope this helps some.

Ginger