HERB - Re: bay aka laurel

clu729s clu729s at mail.smsu.edu
Tue Oct 6 08:05:38 PDT 1998

<<snip>>
>Eventually someone at the Denver Botanic Garden told me laurels needs
>root space to grow.  I put it in a much larger pot, and since then
>(2 1/2 years) it has about doubled (which isn't saying all that much).
<<snip>>

Actually as with most plants in pots, you need to repot often - but only to a
slightly larger container.  I have found that with almost all my plants, it
helps in faster growth.  Also try trimming and loosening the tips of end roots
before replanting.

I learned long ago, that plalnts grow roots first, then leaves.  Many will
grow a great deal after transplanted into a larger pot - but only in the
roots.  When they get settled, then the tops will shoot off and grow quite a
bit more.  I am usually repotting about every 6-10 mos depending on the
shortage of time at the moment.  And of course the casual pruning in the fall
keeps them shaped and looking wonderful.  Best of luck to you all...

Ldy Galla
~perhaps if I take out my living room sofa, that would free up quite a bit
more room for all my growing plants~ LOL