HERB - Austin's herb festival

Sheron Buchele/Curtis Rowland foxryde at verinet.com
Wed Oct 7 22:16:41 PDT 1998

Greetings,

At 05:08 AM 10/6/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Mary Temple wrote:
>> Now for my questions: does anyone have advice on growing the bay? It'll
>> be in a container, and will possibly spend some time inside, where it
>> may be nibbled by cats. (Unless it's toxic to them or they don't like
>> it. Hopefully they won't like it.) How does one propagate it? Has anyone
ever tried?

I have a rather modest bay laurel of about 12" and very bushy.  When I got
it from a greenhouse it was about 8" tall.  I clipped out the terminal bud
and set it out side in the Colorado sunshine.  After about 3 months, it
sent up about 5 new stalks from the ground.  I clipped the terminal buds on
those and I think some of them are going to branch.  I kept it inside this
summer as the grasshoppers ate absolutely everything (even my mugwort).  It
is still happy, but hasn't grown any.   When I am brave, I have taken a
leaf for a soup pot.  Very special and wonderful!

My friend in Iowa propagated one this a semisoft branch, rooting hormone,
and about a year of patience.  Just don't over water would be my advice.

Baroness Leonora