Herbs in Period - was Re: HERB - What classes would you like to see?

khkeeler kkeeler at unlinfo.unl.edu
Thu Oct 15 10:24:10 PDT 1998

Philippa Alderton wrote:

> I'm glad you asked this question- I've been noticing that there really
> isn't much on our herbs in period in any Collegium I've been to, which is
> why I'm on this list, trying to learn.

<snip>
> I'd love to see medical discussions of herbs, and
> their essential oils, and how old remedies, like willow bark for pain, and
> foxglove for heart problems were derived.
This wouldn't be particularly difficult (good books exist) but for the
most part its post-Period.

> I'd like to see the usages of
> herbs related to the theory of the humors, both in cooking and medicine.
I have taught this (in Calontir and the Outlands).  I am, however, still
puzzled over when and how to use plants in medicine since the theories
of disease are basically religious: either the Devil did it, or God is
punishing you. (Taught that too--intro to medical studies, in
persona--but still haven't figured it out.)
A class on "healthy living" using the information in the Tacuium
Sanitatis would be great fun!  (Hmmmm...)

One real problem is the difference between Modern and Medieval.  Modern
uses of plants--see yesterday's USA Today front page--are pretty well
integrated into modern medical theory: "garlic is an anticoagulant".
Period may have used some of the same words, but they had no germ theory
and their explanations of internal medicine included some really bizarre
ones.  Different underlying philosophies get you quite logically to very
differnet conclusions.  For example, if all things are made of earth,
air, fire and water, it is LOGICAL to try to make gold from lead, you
just shift the proportions.  In our modern theory, its impossible
without an atomic reactor, how could they be so silly?

One Period philosophy, not easy to spot, is Doctrine of Signatures.
(The herbals don't tell you why liverwort is for the liver, only that it
is.)  God made all these things for humans to use.  Since we're so dumb,
they are marked.  The signature will tell you what its for, if you just
recognize it. (And, there are no useless plants or animals, just ones we
haven't figured out how to use).  So garlic is for the throat, because
it has a hollow stem that looks like a throat.

So you have to be very careful distinguishing between Period uses, based
in Period science, and modern uses, consistent with modern science.
While in some cases those match, frequently a set of Period uses is
sheer nonsense by modern standards.  The teaching trick is not to
disappoint a class expecting (modern) medical healing information!

I'm good at Period herbal medicine--but not at modern herbal medicine.
I'd not use my knowledge on a real illness without checking a couple of
1990's technical references, and with someone with a modern grasp of
human physiology.

Using herbs authenically in the SCA is an art:  you need to know Period
and modern uses, safety considerations, and creatively combine them.

Modern herbalism is a whole lot more comprehensible and easier to find
references on.  So its no surprise its more often taught.

Agnes

Agnes deLanvallei, O.L. (herbalism), Mag Mor, Calontir
dedicated to the study and safe re-creation of Medieval uses of plants.
If I can assist in your investigations, I'd be honored.
kkeeler1 at unl.edu