HERB - What classes would you like to see?

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Wed Oct 14 16:29:57 PDT 1998

I'm glad you asked this question- I've been noticing that there really
isn't much on our herbs in period in any Collegium I've been to, which is
why I'm on this list, trying to learn.

I would really like to hear from brewers about herbs used in period brews,
before hops became almost universal. I'd love, sometime, to have someone
discuss the usage of sweet spices in savory dishes, and vice versa, as was
frequently done in period. I'd like to see lavender taken out of the sachet
and put on the table. I'd love to see medical discussions of herbs, and
their essential oils, and how old remedies, like willow bark for pain, and
foxglove for heart problems were derived. I'd like to see the usages of
herbs related to the theory of the humors, both in cooking and medicine.
I'd like to see more on companion plants, and what to grow, and not to grow
together, for the benefit of both plants and their consumers.

Is this enough of a start?

Phlip
Caer Frig
Barony of the Middle Marches