HERB - culinary sciences

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Fri Oct 16 11:57:11 PDT 1998

Mistress Christianna wrote:

>I have included a section on herbs as part of the Curriculum for the
>School of Culinary Sciences.  It is a section (department, if you will)
>that someone could specialize in, (which means recieve a Lector degree in
>the topic for RUM purposes).

Is this a society thing? Kingdom specific? Or is this mundane? It
sounds interesting and I was wondering if there was anything like
it available in our area (Midrealm, Detroit).

>I have taught several 'specialty' herb classes [....]
> I have also taught "Herbs for Camping" [....]
> I have taught the "History of Herbal Medicine" [....]

These all sound fantastic and I'm somewhat jealous now that
I dont' live near you. We have some wonderfully talented
people in the Midrealm, unfortunately, none of them teach
these kinds of herb classes that I know of. If they do,
perhaps I'm missing out every time. I'd love to take see
the course descriptions and syllabuses for these classes.

>The other most valuable time spent with fellow herbalists is the Herb
>Walk.

I've been on some poorly done herb walks before and perhaps I'm
suffering from those impressions. They were not done in an
SCA context before and I never was terribly impressed. At the
Pennsic walks, do they address the ethics of wildcrafting?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

jasmine
Jasmine de Cordoba, Midrealm, g.walli at infoengine.com

"Si enim alicui placet mea devotio, gaudebo; si autem
nulli placet, memet ipsam tamen juvat quod feci."
-- Hroswith of Gandersheim