HERB - culinary sciences

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Oct 20 11:03:53 PDT 1998

gawalli wrote:
>Is this a society thing? Kingdom specific? Or is this mundane? It
>sounds interesting and I was wondering if there was anything like
>it available in our area (Midrealm, Detroit).
> I'd love to take see the course descriptions and syllabuses for these
>classes.
The RUM I refer to is the Royal University of Meridies.  It is a Kingdom
wide sponsor of classes, with degrees available for increasing levels of
specialization.  I know that many (most?) other kingdoms have
Universities, in various stages of developement.  The Meridian University
has been through many ups and downs, some tragic losses of data, and a
succession of hard working folks trying to make something of it.  So, I
don't know if there is anything specifically available in your area
(although I do believe there is a University in the Midrealm).  We are
undergoing a continuing process of getting all of our classes outlined in
a syllabus format that any qualified teacher could work from.  I have the
ones I have taught in my own handwriting, but not yet on a computer
friendly basis.

>>The other most valuable time spent with fellow herbalists is the Herb
>>Walk.
>
>I've been on some poorly done herb walks before and perhaps I'm
>suffering from those impressions. They were not done in an
>SCA context before and I never was terribly impressed. At the
>Pennsic walks, do they address the ethics of wildcrafting?

It is very true that you need someone who knows the area well.  I have
accompanied many non-SCA herbalists on walks through their area, and
always learn something in the process.  You can ask at your local
nursery, there are ususally many plant enthusiasts that work there that
would be willing to lead a walk, especially if you can collect a fee from
the individuals and pay said leader.
As far as the ethics of wildcrafting, I can't recall it ever being
addressed in that way, but I do recall discussing proper collection
methods to ensure the health of the donor plant.

It sounds like a good project for you to undertake (if you are willing),
go out and find someone local to your area (or to an area near your
group's favorite site) and arrange for a woods walk.  I'm sure you could
get several interested parties to go along.
I will put getting those herb classes typed up on my long list of things
to do.
	Mistress Christianna