HERB - Re: Hands On Classes

sunshinegirl sunshinegirl at steward-net.com
Mon Oct 19 23:00:51 PDT 1998

Maybe others might be interested as well...
The information is taken from an Article called "Herbal Housecleaning" by
Kate Carter Frederick.  It was in the 1991 April/May issue of _the Herb
Companion_

Three basic ingredients for housecleaning are:

Baking soda - cleans and deodorizes - sinks, stains on dishes, scrub
appliances, countertops, clean drains

Borax - cleans, deodorizeds, disinfects, softens water, prevents mold,
removes stains.  Although considered environmentally safe, it is toxic to
ants and roaches.

Vinegar, white - cuts grease; prevents mold and mildew growth; removes
odors, mineral deposits, wax, and soap buildup; removes spots on metal,
glass, and fiberglass.  heavy-duty cleaning and freshening of ovens,
drains, metals, glass, shower curtains, linoleum, carpet, sinks, tubs,
toilets, washing maching, teakettle.  Solvent for removing oil-based paint
or polyurethane varnish from paintbrushes.
Citrus vinegar is good at degreasing, herbal vinegar excels at deodorizing
and disinfecting.
To make citrus vinegar, use peels of oranges, grapefruits, lemons, limes,
or tangeringes.  Remove the zest, then thinly slice the peels and put them
in a quart jar.  Cover with white vinegar and let set for two weeks, then
remove the peels.  As you use the vinegar, you can just add more peels and
white vinegar.

>From personal use, if there is any kind of cut or scrape on your hand, the
vinegar will sting like crazy.  When using baking soda, my hands tend to
feel softer after rinsing.

Kitchen cleaner:  1 cup baking soda, 10 drops each of essential oils: and
citrus, rosemary, thyme, cinnamon.  Blend well in mortar with pestle, or in
a glass or metal bowl.
Bathroom cleaner:  2 cups baking soda, 10 drops each essential oilss of
clove, cinnamon, sage, pepperming, lavender, pine, cajeput (Melaleuca
leucadendron), juniper, eucalyptus, thyme, lemon.  Blend well.

Disinfectant and deodorizer.  Same as bathroom cleaner, but use borax
instead baking soda.

All purpose liquid cleaner:  Add 2 tablespoons of disinfectant to 1 quart
warm water.

Degreaser:  Add 3 tablespoons citrus vinegar to 1 quart warm water

There are a few more, but that's enough for now

Melandra of the Woods