HERB - culinary sciences

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Wed Oct 21 14:39:32 PDT 1998

Mistress Chritianna wrote:
>The RUM I refer to is the Royal University of Meridies.  It is a Kingdom
>wide sponsor of classes, with degrees available for increasing levels of
>specialization. [....] (although I do believe there is a University
>in the Midrealm).

Ah, yes, there is. I was refering to te degree available. Lecturing
degrees being mostly what I was interested in. What little I know
of the RUM sessions in the Midrealm do not include any information
on degrees you can possibly achieve. I'm rather sure we do
nothing like that, but I'll happily be corrected by someone who
has more information than I. :)

>As far as the ethics of wildcrafting, I can't recall it ever being
>addressed in that way, but I do recall discussing proper collection
>methods to ensure the health of the donor plant.

I think that's part of it. I've seen walks where everyone in the
class took something. Something they didn't need or had no
intention of using that day or in the near future (after drying, say).
"Take only pictures, leave only footprints" was what one good
park ranger quoted me once. I'd like to see that quoted more on
weedwalks.

>It sounds like a good project for you to undertake (if you are willing),

Egads. I think I'll try my hand at teaching a RUM session first. :)
That seems more...more...familiar somehow. Less scary. I'd be
deathly afraid of grabbing some Sumac and suddenly realizing I'd
misidentified a plant (poison sumac being one of the harder ones
for me to identify consistently).

>I will put getting those herb classes typed up on my long list of things
>to do.

Please don't rush on my account. Thanks for the information.

Jasmine
Jasmine de Cordoba, Midrealm, g.walli at infoengine.com

"Si enim alicui placet mea devotio, gaudebo; si autem
nulli placet, memet ipsam tamen juvat quod feci."
-- Hroswith of Gandersheim