HERB - Fwd: [SCA-WEST:2610] West Kingdom History Projects

Lughnasa@aol.com Lughnasa at aol.com
Sat Sep 12 03:59:47 PDT 1998

In a message dated 98-09-11 11:29:25 EDT, domus at juno.com writes:

<<
 PLEASE PROPOGATE THIS TO THE OTHER SCA LIST SERVERS IF YOU CAN
 (I'm only reading SCA-West really -- HvH):
 (Original posting on SCA-West, 09/10/1998)

 Greetings folks ...

 In an attempt to preserve the history of the West Kingdom, and the early
 days of the SCA, there are several projects happening ... these got
 started partially due to the tragic loss in the last year of several of
 the early members of the SCA: Edwin Bersark, Beverly Hodgehead, Ellen
 Cross Quills, and Sumer Redmane (these are the ones I'm personally aware
 of). Some of us realized that we are losing not only the people, but the
 actual history stored in their heads. Before we lose more, we'd like to
 get as much of this as we can, so that we don't forget how it started,
 why some of our traditions exist, and just plain reminisces of the events
 themselves that shaped this organization that we all enjoy ...

 There are actually three different projects happening.

 1) The first is one that Sir Jon FitzRolf is doing, the video/documentary
 project. Jon's email address is:

 sirjon at netcom.com

 My understanding (and I'm sure Jon will correct me on this) is that he's
 trying to get as much of the film (8 mm and whatever) that people have
 and do a documentary style project on the early days of the SCA. (Jon
 also wants to work with the folk "who were there" for the documentary
 parts)

 2) In addition, there's a web site that's just getting started that is
 being set up for scanned photographs (and even some documents if people
 have fascinating things, like I remember a few of you have the original
 mimeographed invites to the party at Diana's; and Henrik showed up at
 Purgatorio with a copy of the "scroll" he was given when he won the Crown
 for Wendryn -- Andrew was having a ball showing that off to people ...).
 This is being put together by Felix MacAvidy, and the web site itself has
 directions on getting photos to him -- if you have a scanner and are
 willing to email them to him, that can be done, you can send photos for
 him to scan (but he'd appreciate return postage ...), and so on. The web
 site is:

 http://www.dis.org/whistory/

 Steven MacEanruig has already donated a few photographs from the third
 tournament ...

 3) Finally, there's the Annotated History Project, which I'm running
 through email (mostly) -- I still haven't gotten hold of various folk
 from the early days, including David Bradley (Sir Ardral, the first
 person ever knighted in the SCA), Diana, and so on ... I'm trying
 (although I realize I haven't put as much effort in some areas as I could
 ...). There are some great folk on the mailing list, and we're adding
 more periodically as we move on. To date, I have sent out and received
 commentary for events up through late AS II (I just started the early AS
 III stuff this evening ...).

 ---

 Anyway, if you have photos, film, etc., to contribute to the projects,
 please contact the appropriate people. If you know of folk who don't have
 email access, or aren't accessing SCA-West that you think ought to be in
 contact with any of us, please help out and let them know, or let us know
 how to contact them (I am willing to work through postal mail for the
 annotated history) ... I am of course interested in hearing from folk who
 were involved in the West Kingdom (NOTE that the West Kingdom includes
 the early days of An Tir, Caid, Atenveldt, etc.) in the early days (up
 through AS XIII, 1978) for the Annotated History project ...

 Thanks --

 Hirsch

     domus entropius (West Kingdom) is:
 Ken Mayer (aka Hirsch von Henford) and
 Carolyn J. Eaton (aka Aldith Angharad St. George)
 http://www.mindspring.com/~hirschv/homepage.htm