HERB - Re: Your library (Was "Hortulus")

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Thu Sep 17 07:22:44 PDT 1998

Jasmine writes:

There was a thread on the SCA Scribes list talking about which
primary (or near primary) sources people had in their libraries.
Does anyone actually have a copy of Strabo in their library? I
know I don't. And in fact, when it comes right down to it, my
period references are rather slim.

I'm subscribed to the Herbalist list because of its relationship to
cooking, so I don't have any primary sources on herbs. I have been
collecting what I can, and so far I've got "Curye on Inglysch" Platina's
"De Honeste Voluptate et Valetune", the Milham translation, and a letter
from Anthimus to one of the Theodorics  on healthful eating. The last two
have the original Latin, and since I can read Latin fairly well, I use the
translations given to find what I'm looking for, then re-translate to find
out EXACTLY what was said. I have the Vehling translation of Apicius, but
it's almost useless since he gets very creative with the ingredients and
doesn't give the originals- I mean green peppers in 400 CE? Give me a
break. If anybody knows where I can get a copy of the Flowers and Rosenblum
(sp) please let me know.

Phlip

Phlip at bright.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,