HERB - thank you jasmine

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Fri Sep 18 07:18:27 PDT 1998

Phlip wrote:
>Was also talking to Stefan who does the Florilegium, and we were thinking
>of collecting a bunch of them and putting them in his files, with helpful
>little paragraphs like you added, that way there'd be a collection for
>everybody to access. What do you think?

I like the idea, but with two thoughts in mind that give me pause.

First. What happens to the Florilegium files when someone's
website is moved or if they decide to no longer support it?
Regrettable as it may be, sometimes very useful sites must no
longer be supported for personal, professional, or monetary
reasons.

I think the idea of an annotated bibliography with weblinks is
a fantastic idea, IF there is a posted statement at the beginning
(say, in the intro) that clearly states that the links are not
regularly checked for viability and IF the reader has some way
to report "dead" links to the maintainer of the list.

Second. What good is it to have hundreds or thousands of links
to just any old site? There are plenty of clearing house areas
on regular websites that will allow you to look up all the
links in the world on medieval topics, some specific, some not.
Repeating that large kind of listing would be foolish and a
waste of time.

I would suggest some limit on the kinds of links that are
placed in the files. Simply listing "joe's link list" because
it has a cool set of medieval links is, in my opinion, a waste
of time. Even listing some of the better museum exhibits can
be silly simply because not all online exhibits stay online
(a darn shame too).

Perhaps what it is need is some kind of review team. Several
people who volunteer their time to check out a site's URL that
is submitted, take a look at it, and then report back on the
viability of the link. I'd be the FIRST person to volunteer for
this, as I have plenty of interest and a very fast internet
connection.

Things to think about. A good idea, but with careful planning,
I think it could be a GREAT idea.

Jasmine

Jasmine de Cordoba, Midrealm (Metro-Detroit area of Michigan)
jasmine at infoengine.com or g.walli at infoengine.com

"Si enim alicui placet mea devotio, gaudebo; si autem
nulli placet, memet ipsam tamen juvat quod feci."
-- Hroswith of Gandersheim