HERB - preparing for winter

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Tue Sep 22 15:33:18 PDT 1998

Jasmine,

I'm so sorry to hear about the plants!  I haven't grown oregano, but I didn't
think it was that tender.  Any chance of it regrowing from the roots?

I don't think I can be much help with "winterizing", things are all turned
around here.  I can't see why the basement wouldn't be adequate for most
things.

I haven't found much support for keeping numbers of plants in pots, except
perhaps for some of the wealthy nobility, but it was certainly done.  The
pictures are the most common evidence, of course, but I've found the SETTING
of the pots range from obviously extensive pleasure gardens to relatively
ordinary houses with potted plants on the window sill or balcony to the
pictures of the 14th century TACUINUM SANITATIS IN MEDICINA which shows plants
in pots being grown for medicinal use.  I don't know if it was the preference
to keep plants in pots, but it was undeniably done.

A few months back, the 16th century Thomas Tusser lists were posted, and one
of the lists was "Herbes, Branches, and Flowers, for Windows and Pots".  In
several places in his lists, he suggests taking plants up in the autumn to
keep in pots.  I'm sure I've seen other written sources, but I can't recall
where right now.

Hope this helps a little.

Raisya