HERB - preparing for winter

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Tue Sep 22 16:02:10 PDT 1998

Raisya asked
>I'm so sorry to hear about the plants!  I haven't grown oregano, but I didn't
>think it was that tender.  Any chance of it regrowing from the roots?

Possibly, if I babysit it with the weather starting to get
weird, but I'm not sure what it will do this late in the
season. I've never really had a plant die on me before.
It sounds weird to say, but until this summer, I'd never
even had a plant with bugs and such. I'm not really sure
what happens when something dies late in the season. I suppose
with all the books I have, I should find one with a chapter on
"what to do when a plant gets sick or dies". :)

>ordinary houses with potted plants on the window sill or balcony to the
>pictures of the 14th century TACUINUM SANITATIS IN MEDICINA which shows plants
>in pots being grown for medicinal use.  I don't know if it was the preference
>to keep plants in pots, but it was undeniably done.

I should really get this book then. I've been thinking about it,
but never really picked it up. I suppose my b-day is coming up
soon so maybe my DH will pick it up for me if I leave big hints
in places where he could find it.

I checked in my archives and in a few places online (like Stefan's
Floreligium files) but none with a review of TACUINUM SANITATIS.
Has anyone got one? Amazon, borders, and barnes&noble don't have
any descriptions, just notices that it is out of stock. Amazon
had it prior to War, but now they don't seem to have it in stock.
Phooey.

>A few months back, the 16th century Thomas Tusser lists were posted,

Prior to April? Oh, no, the one from list 5 (of 7) posted on June
12th. yes, I've found it. Thanks for reminding me of it (and to
Jin Liu Ch'ang for posting it!).

Jasmine

Jasmine de Cordoba, Midrealm (Metro-Detroit area of Michigan)
jasmine at infoengine.com or g.walli at infoengine.com

"Si enim alicui placet mea devotio, gaudebo; si autem
nulli placet, memet ipsam tamen juvat quod feci."
-- Hroswith of Gandersheim