HERB - Gerard's Herbal

Roberta R Comstock froggestow at juno.com
Wed Sep 23 19:26:41 PDT 1998

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998 14:06:02 -0500 Christina <magdlena at texas.net> writes:
>    I have a copy of _Gerard's Herbal_, edited by Marcus Woodward,
>published in 1994.  I know it is cut, the back says "Marcus Woodward
>has
>distilled the best of the 1636 folio," but I don't know by how much.
>Can anybody give me a scholarly opinion on this edition?
>
>Thanks!
>-Magdalena

If that's the little paperback titled _Leaves from Gerard's Herbal, it's
not even the tip of the iceberg!  I believe there is also a somewhat
larger much-cut version.

The Dover version of  _The Herbal or General History of Plants_ , John
Gerard; The Complete 1633 Edition Revised and Enlarged by Thomas Johnson,
 (ISBN 0-486-23147-X , price about $80.00, US), has 1,631 pages in the
main body of the work (9 x 12" pages) plus another 48 pages of tables and
indexes after that.

I didn't take time to count the many unnumbered pages of introductory
material.  A weighty tome, indeed!  I haven't weighed my copy, but
suspect it's nearly 10 pounds.  The facsimile pages being in a period
type style, are not perticulary easy reading.

Hertha