HERB - Re:Freezing weather

Mike and Pat Luco mikel at pdq.net
Wed Sep 23 17:13:33 PDT 1998

<I lost a lovely oregano and a variagated oregano last night<along with the
columbine that I was nursing back to health
<after the infestation it got this summer.  *sigh*

The weather is near freezing this early in the year?

It will be maybe not until December when we get a true freeze.  I always look
forward to it.  The freezes knock the weeds back and stills the bugs, even if it
kills off the Basil.  One year I kept Basil growing outside almost until February,
then we got a pre-Valentines freeze.  Needless to say, that year, the bugs were
too heavy to keep most thick leaved herbs alive, they were being sucked to death.
I hear many pine about the lack of freezing weather in the southern states, but it
has its price.  No lilacs, peonies, tarragon, or lavendar will truly thrive here.
Each place has its good point and bad, for me I am looking forward to some cooler
days, and an occasional freeze to knock back those bugs......

Henri