HERB - Re:Freezing weather

nweders@mail.utexas.edu nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Sep 24 06:28:58 PDT 1998

 No lilacs, peonies, tarragon, or lavendar will truly thrive here.
>Each place has its good point and bad, for me I am looking forward to some
cooler
>days, and an occasional freeze to knock back those bugs......
>
>Henri

	When I first moved to Ansteorra in the 60's as a child there were very
small bushes of lilac found growing in the cemateries down in what is now
Bjornborg (San Antonio)  My friend Edwin remembers lilacs growing quite
well up in Steppes during the Seventies but they have dissappeared.  Our
weather has slowly changed to warmer.  He currently lives in Steppes again
and he grown a beautiful white peony that his mother had and he dug and
moved from his old house.  It makes wonderful blooms.  I have friends that
grew a long row of Spanish Lavender along their driveway two years ago.  It
was very, very sunny and the plants received less water than the rest of
the year.  It did very well.  I think if you are careful some things like
the lavender will still grow but the lilacs, alas may be a thing of the
past.  The French lavender doesn't do aas well as the Spanish < I think, In
Bryn Gwlad... I have grown two or three types.  It sometimes will get
cotton root rot and die....

	I too though am waiting for cooler weather.  We're taking out two or three
larges trees very soon (not at once) and that will allow me to have herb
beds again.  My last one got overwhelmed by a pecan tree.

When you live with a tree lover you have to fight about open space.  He
plants trees everywhere.

Clare