HERB - Teaching a class at PW 28

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Tue Apr 13 11:55:11 PDT 1999

Jasmine

>I don't suppose you'd want to share some of your period fruits
>and veggies stuff with the rest of the group, would you?

Well, I'll post what I can, but it may be a few days.  Off the top of my head
- the period strawberry is Fragaria vesca - the alpine or European
strawberry, while modern strawberries are New World types.  Most
"canteloupes" are actually New World muskmelons, the European canteloupes are
a little different, though there isn't much practical difference.  Most
watermelons were round icebox types.  They had a third melon, an "eastern"
melon that starts out green like a watermelon, but turns a rich yellow when
it's ripe, round in shape.  My source stopped carrying this one, but I think
Clare's seen it recently.  It's sometimes called a palestinian or Israeli
melon, and has the most incredible fragrance when ripe.

BTW, alpine strawberries do have a different taste than modern strawberries,
or even wild American strawberries.  These aren't always easy to find and
they're a pain to grow from seed, but adult plants are really tough.  My
plant has come back from the grave several times :).  For most things, the
modern ones are great, but someone  looking for a really different A&S
project might have fun with these.

Well, at least that's a start.
Raisya