HERB - I did it!

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Apr 13 14:01:51 PDT 1999

Well, I finally did it.  I planted those poor, wilting 4" pot herbs that
have been sitting in my front yard since I did the class for the Boy
Scouts, almost 3 weeks ago.  I planted the elephant garlic all around my
rose bush, (just like I told the Scouts I would), and planted not one but
two new rosemary plants, one woodland (creeping) and one upright.  I also
planted some peppermint and lemon balm, really close to one another, more
to see if they are going to survive my treatment of them than anything
else.   If they take off, I will have to move them somewhere else, I know
not where.  I have three packets of sunflowers I bought, which I am
sprouting before I do anything else with them.  I have had way too many
packets of sunflower seeds do absolutely nothing, so I am going to make
sure what gets put in the ground is viable, at least.  I also bought a
tarragon plant, which went in the planter that the lavender finally
crapped out of.  I hope it does better, either than the lavender or any
other tarragon I've ever bought.
	The dogwoods are in bloom, (so is everything else, the pollen count
today was half of yesterday's all time high score of 6000+ parts of
particulate matter per square inch), and my amarylis is gorgeous.  I have
promising beginnings on my perrenials, the fennel, yarrow, echinacea,
sweet williams, sage, lemon thyme, tiger lily, gladiolas, hostas, white
ginger, and the mullein I rescued from the cow field amongst the Scouts
are all doing nicely.  The azaleas are almost finished, but the late
bloomer out front is still in full flower.  We are having a real early
start on a lot of things due to our lack of much winter weather at all,
and the azaleas didn't really show this year as well as usuall.  I think
they must need more cool weather (nights?).
	Ah, well, I just had to share my short burst of gardening virtue, I will
now return to indoor slug mode.  ;)
	How is your garden growing?
	Christianna