HERB - "Violets are blue....."

WlNDSlNGER@aol.com WlNDSlNGER at aol.com
Tue Apr 27 16:40:32 PDT 1999

Seeing as it's spring, and they're popping up EVERYwhere....a question about
blue violets.

I know the blue, or "sweet"  violet Viola odorata  carries with it a ton of
health benefits.....from the treating of cough and respiratory disorders, to
gracing your tossed salad.   And I know a lot of the members of the violet
family (pansies, et al)  carry similar benefits.

However....out of sheer caution....the delicate little blooms that are
scattered all over my backyard.  Are those Viola odorata ?   Before I go nuts
picking them, making cough syrup out of them, and drying them for tea......I
just want to be sure I'm not wasting my time.  (Or risking poisoning myself!)

(On the same note.....will wild black raspberry leaves have the same soothing
effects in tea as red will?)

Blessed Be,

Fionnuala of the White Hands