HERB - "Violets are blue....."

Kathleen Keeler kkeeler at unlserve.unl.edu
Wed Apr 28 06:34:22 PDT 1999

WlNDSlNGER at aol.com wrote:

> Seeing as it's spring, and they're popping up EVERYwhere....a question about
> blue violets.
>
> I know the blue, or "sweet"  violet Viola odorata  carries with it a ton of
> health benefits.....from the treating of cough and respiratory disorders, to
> gracing your tossed salad.   And I know a lot of the members of the violet
> family (pansies, et al)  carry similar benefits.
>
> However....out of sheer caution....the delicate little bloomsBlessed Be,
>
> Fionnuala of the White Hands

Fionnuala-

> _Viola odorata_ is the only one of the approximately 400 species in the genus
> _Viola_ which

has scented flowers.  It is from Europe.  There are dozens of American violet
species that look very similar, none has a scent.  Pansies and johnny-jump-ups
are also species of _Viola_  from Europe.  Without looking up the chemistry,  I
suggest that if pansies and johnny-jump-ups have the same properties as _Viola
odorata_ it seems likely the chemistry is conserved throughout the genus and you
can substitute the American violets.  All of them are considered safe to eat, so
they shouldn't do you any harm.

Midwestern conservation note:  violets are the chief food plant of a number of
fritillary butterflies (e.g. the regal frittilary) whose numbers have
drastically dropped.  Planting and conserving native violets, and sharing them
with fritillary caterpillars, will conserve both butterflies and violets.  (I'm
speaking of grassland, not forest plants and butterflies.)

Agnes deLanvallei, Mag Mor, Calontir
kkeeler1 at unl.edu