HERB - Top 5 Herb Books

MdmMalice1@aol.com MdmMalice1 at aol.com
Fri Apr 30 07:52:55 PDT 1999

foxryde at verinet.com writes:
.
> [...]
library!

 Hmmmmm.....let me see...

 1) The Herb Book by John Lust.   An older book yes, but very handy to answer
 those "How do I..." questions.  Altho without photographs, the listing of
 herbs is very large and the bibliography/reference section is a great
pointer
to other works.

2) The Master Book of Herbalism by Paul Beyerl.  Herbalism with a serious
 look at things from a 'magickal' point of view.

 3) The Natural Formula Book for Home and Yard, edited by Dan Wallace.  Over
 400 formulas for natural products to replace those bought daily.  Covers
 everything from cosmetics, hygiene aids to auto, workshop and garden
 products.  Maybe not truely an herb book, but herbs and their products are
 used in numberous of the formulas.

 4) The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Essential Oils:The complete Guide to the
 Use of Oils in Aromatherapy and Herbalism, by Julia Lawless.  Covers
 everything from what the heck IS an essential oil, how to get them out of
 that darn plant (modern methods and historical ones), and what to do with it
 once you've got it.  Well illustrated with both drawings and photos of the
 living plant, usually also with a photo of pieces of the plant, dried and
 fresh.  This reference gives scientific names, family names, synonyms,
safety
 data, herbal/folk traditional information, aromatherapy/home use, other uses
 and an idea of just what the heck is IN that oil that is doing the work.

 4a) 500 Formulas for Aromatherapy: Mixing Essential oils for Everyday use,
by
 Carol and David Schiller.    Hand in hand with my copy of above noted book
 (#4), I use this one.  Like the title says, there are 500 formulas for oil
 mixtures.  Good basic information, but the best part of this book is the
 actual formulas.  Covering everything from air fresheners to laundry scents,
 mouth wash to massage oils, the formulas are not just tossed at you
 haphazardly..but are arranged in 'themes'.  For example: Baths (a
traditional
 method of herbal treatment) are arranged in groupings of formulas with
 headings of "Breathe More Easily", "Calming", "Mood Elevating", "Muscle
 Relaxers", "PMS", "Refreshing" and "Stress Relievers"

 5) Indian Herbalogy of North America: The definitive Guide to Native
 Medicinal Plants and their uses by Alma Hutchens.   Line drawings, not
 photos...but this book focuses on plants that are native here..not in
europe.
 Not so much a "how to" book, this one doesn't go as in depth as many, but it
 gives the Native American uses for the plant, medicinal parts, solvents,
body
 influence, and interestingly enough...Russian experiences with the plant.

At last count I had 11 different herbals, spread out here and there.  But
 these get the bulk of my work done.

 Melistra
 Trimaris