HERB - gardens, mowers, and tomatos -Reply

Norman White gn-white at tamu.edu
Fri Apr 30 08:37:08 PDT 1999

Greetings from Jin Liu Ch'ang,

Clare wrote:
>Get her in contact with Liu J'ing.  He's not on the herb >list and he knows tons on soil.   Mundanely he is a >soils analyst type person at Texas A&M, which is why >he gets fascinated with the gardening, viniculture and >stuff.
Actually, I am on the list.  I am in a Soils and Crops Department but my actual area is more environmental, studying clays.  I guess gardening, etc. is kind of returning to my roots of what I learned as an undergrad.

I would advise looking at Tusser but as mentioned earlier, it was written in prose, I assume so the less literate could memorize it easier.  A better book for information on preparing plant beds in a period manner is Thomas Hill's "The Arte of Gardening" which in first part goes over general garden design, handling insect problems, soil preparation, etc and then in the plant section gives specific information on the growing of each plant.  It also has attached manuscripts on production of honey, and grafting of trees, etc.  I have a hundred pages or so typed in MSWord including the sections on gardens, soil prep along with information on some plants and could look up specific questions if asked.

Unfortunately both books are out of print.

Norman White
gn-white at tamu.edu