HERB - gardens, etc. and 5 favorites

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Fri Apr 30 12:05:29 PDT 1999

Clare,

I was hoping Jin Liu would speak up, he's helped me find a lot of materials,
including my copy of Thomas Hill.  I was just trying to think of someone
closer to Jasmine's (Detroit, Mi?) area.

Let's see, my five favorite herb books?  Well, that's similar to my last list
:).

1)  THE ARTE OF GARDENING, Thomas Hill

2)  HORTULUS, Strabo, Walahfrid - I have to admit I like this because of the
poetry, not the utility :).

3)  THE COMPLETE BOOK OF HERBS, Bremness, Lesley - This is my modern
favorite, I tend to reach for it over any other herb book because I like the
way the growing information is organized.

4)  TACUINUM SANITATIS - the Facts on File edition (Four Seasons of the House
of Cerutti) - I don't actually own this, but I get to borrow it a lot :).

5) HERBAL TREASURES - Phyllis V. Shaudys - This one's strictly for fun, but I
tend to use it as a modern reference for period recipes too.  Honestly, I
couldn't decide between Grieve's HERBAL and Landsberg's MEDIEVAL GARDEN, but
decided since others had already mentioned them, I'd throw in something
different :).

This IS a lot of fun.  And it tells a lot about individual interests in
herbs.  But I'd really hate to be limited to these, I love a lot of my other
books too :).

BTW, I've got an odd little book that someone gave me called TRAVELER'S JOY,
by Juliette de Bairacli Levy, that I've never heard anyone mention.  She
seems to have based her life on the Gypsies and other nomads, and covers
things like how to fumigate a hut with herbs, woody herbs that can be burned
as fuel, herbs in cooking, as well as medicinal herbs.  I know very little
about most of what she covers, anyone want to comment on its accuracy?

Raisya