catnip and valerian, was Re: HERB - Re: Sleep Aids

Elizabeth A. Metzger ymzady at home.com
Tue Aug 3 17:05:19 PDT 1999

> I have been following this with interest but I have to share this.
>
> In my life I have had dozens of cats.  I have 12 right now.  I have
> never had a cat that wanted anything to do with catnip.  I grow it for
> tea and they just ignore it.  Catnip toys don't interest them either.
> Is this weird or is it just my imagination?
>
> Ginger

Alot of catnip you buy in stores is worthless.  I used to show cats, and
have found that the better quality *dried* stuff is what most cats react
strongly to (I used to get it at cat shows).  Any and all of the herd
here will try to open the door of the china cabinet and get to the 'good
stuff'.  They react with varying intensity to fresh catnip brought in
from outside-some don't pay any attention at all to it.  My 'back porch
rescue kitty' had to be restrained from herb murder earlier this spring
by my putting a *cage* completely around 2 of my catnip plants.  She
rolled on the volunteer catnip in the yard until I thought it was going
to die...but now she pretty much ignores it.  I used to hear that
Alaskan catnip was the strongest, due to their climate...possibly the
cool damp spring we had made the volunteer catnip unusually strong?

Iosobail