HERB - What's Up With all the Nightshade?

Warren & Meredith Harmon corwynsca at juno.com
Mon Aug 9 11:30:02 PDT 1999

Help!

Twice in one week now, I have identified, mentioned to the owner, had the
owner react with surprise, had the owner panic, gone out to the car to
get my gloves, removed, and threw out (after much stress) nightshade
plants from their yards.  Is it the drought that's bringing them out?
It's driving me crazy!!!

Any thoughts on how to scrub down after my bare arms brushed the plant?
Which parts are the most dangerous?  (We had a scare when one toddler
licked a berry - that's what caused me to find the second plant.)  Any
ideas on how to deal with nightshade poisoning, besides calling Poison
Control?  Any other thoughts on the plant itself???

Oh - we're talking Woody Nightshade, not the other variety that slips my
mind.

Boy, does that plant STINK when it's bruised!!!!!
-Caro (please, am I done now with all the Nightshade???  I already have a
last name, I don't want to be known as Shade-bane!!!)