HERB - Wemon Cycle issues

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Sat Aug 21 09:56:27 PDT 1999

In a message dated 08/21/1999 8:51:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
doroket at yahoo.com writes:

<<
 Dear Christiana,

  My favorite book is "Herbal Healing for Women" by
 Rosemary Gladstar.  She has great ideas and recipes
 that will take you from beginning to be a woman to
 the ending of the mensies.  She helped me with ideas
 for my daughter....like the moon party we had to
 celebrate her coming of age.  As a precautionary I
 always cross reference, Culpepper's. >>

    Dorothy (Hi, dear! Coming to Tourney of the Foxes?) is right about
Rosemary Gladstar's book, it is very good. But since she comes from  the more
traditional side of herbal medicine, I tend to like to double check stuff
with some of the more scientifically based books. (Sorry, dear, Culpeper,
while great for period info, is rather risky to use for serious stuff. Some
of his recommendations we now know are not helpful, sometimes even harmful.
Or did you mean another book, and mixed up the name like I'm forever doing?
;-) ) One of my favorites is by Michael Castleman, called, ummmm...... The
Healing Herbs? Have to check my shelf! It's been out a few years, so some of
the research mentioned is dated, but it's still good overall. It, and a
number of other herb books shouldn't be hard to find in a decent library. The
main thing to check out is whether the book talks vaguely about traditional
uses, or whether it mentions studies done on the various herbs. Run like
crazy from books that give no cautions at all! They *might* be all right, but
many ignore recent developments in the herb world entirely, and can suggest
risky herbs or doses. Another thing to check out is the herb magazines
around. Herbs for Health would be your best bet, in this case, though the
others usually have some medicinal info, too. Again, check your library--they
may have it available.

                    Ldy Diana