Brewing ingredients (was Re: HERB - Ickies

Thea & Jeff tsand at pacbell.net
Wed Aug 25 08:06:12 PDT 1999

> Out of print, right?

Yeah, out of print but generally available through interlibrary loan
(three different local college/ university libraries have copies here)
and Kinko's is a Good thing..:). There was recently a copy available
online but it was an original, not a reprint and cost about $500!

>  Relevant
> here, it puts all manner of things into the brew, including gold.

Gold, pearls and coral were all put into period "cordial waters". Sure
different than what we think of cordials today!
Another period recipe suggests soaking iron filings in wine until they
appear rusty and giving it to people suffering from anemia..;-c
It's the right idea, just probably not very consumable under todays
standards!

Thanks for the tip about the book..I'll have to go over and take a look
at it. Do you happen to know which library it's in? Main?

Thea