HERB - Near and Far Eastern Aromas

Warren & Meredith Harmon corwynsca at juno.com
Wed Aug 25 15:11:51 PDT 1999

Greetings!

>Although questionably period, the Bible, specifically the Old
>Testament,
>is a good way to get a flavor of what might be discussed.

Actually, it can be considered period, for two reasons: 1) we don't have
an official cutoff date for early times, and 2) the Jews were so
insistent about keeping their traditions pure that they were using the
same formulas till the day Titus' army destroyed the Temple.  Perhaps
after, I'd have to read some of their writings.

>You yourself shall take spices as follows: five hundred sheckels
>of sticks of myrrh, half that amount of fragrant cinnamon, two
>hundred and fifty shekels of armonatic cane, five hundred shekels
>of cassia by the sacred standard and a hin of olive oil...This shall
>be the holy anointing oil for my service in ever generation.
>[Exodus 30:22-32]

Oh, yeah...remember, the above recipe was for the holy oil: implication
being, there were other oils for everyday use (which, of course, whose
recipes were well known, so we don't even have to write them down, right?
 Sighhhhh...)  If you try the recipe, change the proportions, or add some
extra bits.  Cloves, perhaps?

-Caro