HERB - Re: Culpepper and beginning period books

Katherine Blackthorne kblackthorne at midtown.net
Sat Aug 28 09:49:51 PDT 1999

> Honestly, I don't think any one single book can do it. But most SCAdians
> own a copy of Culpeper, sooner or later. For the 'one book to take to a
> desert island' I'd think Gerard, myself; but I think Markham's _English
> Housewife_ should be the one they substitue for Culpeper; or Banckes', but
> there's no edition, let alone an illustrated edition, out...
>
> Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise        jenne at tulgey.browser.net
>  "in verbis et in herbis, et in lapidibus sunt virtutes"
> (In words, and in plants, and in stones, there is power.)

I think you have hit on a big part of the draw of Culpeper's.  When I
was gifted my copy, in the '80's, there was not another herbal on the
market that had illustrations of every plant (let alone color
illustrations)!  Judging from the inscription in the front, that was one
of the reasons it was given me.  What I would *really* like to see is a
"complete" Culpeper's...

--Katherine Blackthorne