HERB - Re: Culpepper and beginning period books

M Wolfe mwolfe at nwlink.com
Sat Aug 28 10:41:42 PDT 1999

At 09:49 AM 8/28/99 , you wrote:
>> Honestly, I don't think any one single book can do it. But most SCAdians
>> own a copy of Culpeper, sooner or later. For the 'one book to take to a
>> desert island' I'd think Gerard, myself; but I think Markham's _English
>> Housewife_ should be the one they substitue for Culpeper; or Banckes', but
>> there's no edition, let alone an illustrated edition, out...

Greetings from Rauthulfr;

The English housewife is probably the most approachable of the household
books.  The recipes tend to be pretty yummy, and the Ales are very good.

Banckes is probably the last of the Medieval Herbals.  It pretty much follows
the sort of thing one finds in Apulieus.  It was a work which was never
published with illustrations.  That actually was one of it's key points.  It
kept the herbal affordable.  The herbal Guild of An Tir is working on an
edition of Banckes, it is going pretty slow because we are transcribing form
the facsimile edition.  If someone is interested I can forward them a copy of
a modernized edition which we based on a 1940's publication of Banckes.

Banckes’: An Herbal [1525], Edited & Transcribed into Modern English With an
Introduction by Sanford V. Larkey, M.D., & Thomas Pyles, Scholars’
Facsimiles &
Reprints, New York, 1941

There was somewhat of an update to Banckes by William Turner Libellus de re
herbaria, 1538, [and] The names of herbes, 1548: Facsimiles, with introductory
matter by James Britten, B. Daydon Jackson & W.T. Stearn., London, Ray
Society,
1965

The Herbal Guild has produced a transcribed copy of The Names of Herbes.  What
we've done with that was to convert the original text into modern type, but
all
spelling, etc, remains true to Turner's text.

I have posted a bibliography which has a fair number of facsimile editions
cited.  Many of them are obscure, so getting them will probably require
interlibrary loan, and a photocopy machine.

http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian/canterbury/228/Biblio.html

Rauthulfr Meistari inn Orthstori  (OL, MC, P-eX, Et Cetera)  An Tir A&S
Champion
or, non- SCA: Michael Wolfe M. A. I. S. AB-
*Practice Random Acts of Chocolate.....