HERB - Re: Culpepper and beginning period books

M Wolfe mwolfe at nwlink.com
Mon Aug 30 18:12:56 PDT 1999

1200 from what place?
There are, for example,  several Herbals in Anglo-Saxon of which we have
copies from 900-1000 extant.  However the reason we have such a poor
catalogue of extant A-S stuff is that after Henry VIII took over the
church, many of the medieval records were sold off to Europe for all sorts
of things.  There is one A-S manuscript for which we have only 1 page
because it was used to cut out a pattern from!

At 09:59 AM 8/30/99 , you wrote:
>But I don't read Latin and all the herbals of my time are in Latin, so I have
>only 2ndary sources (from an historian's viewpoint, meaning the SCA has
its own
>slant on primary and secondary sources) and so I need to consider the quality
>of the translation every time I use something period for me.  Herbals in
>English close to modern English have the benefit of cutting out the
>translator-middleman.
>
>So I would say good references depend on what you are trying to do.
>
>Agnes, Mag Mor, Calontir
>kkeeler1 at unl.edu

Rauthulfr Meistari inn Orthstori  (OL, MC, P-eX, Et Cetera)  An Tir A&S
Champion
or, non- SCA: Michael Wolfe M. A. I. S. AB-
*Practice Random Acts of Chocolate.....