HERB - Re: Culpepper and beginning period books

Kathleen Keeler kkeeler at unlserve.unl.edu
Tue Aug 31 06:48:56 PDT 1999

Rauthulfr Meistari inn Orthstori

> 1200 from what place?

We hold of King John.  The richer lands are in Normandy and Anjou, but my dower
lands are in England between Oxford and Lincoln.

> There are, for example,  several Herbals in Anglo-Saxon of which we have
> copies from 900-1000 extant.

Norman French is the language of the ruling class.  I understand the villeins'
language but prefer not to let on.  I am a noblwoman, not a leech.  I have
considerable practical use of herbs, but for serious matters we consult the
priest and, very occasionally, a physician in London.  The villeins have a
leeches, mostly women of little learning, that they go to.  I don't inquire much
for I fear I'll find pagan practices and be duty bound to take disciplinary
action.

Surely it is much the same with you?
Agnes
;-)