HERB - Re: Culpepper and beginning period books

M Wolfe mwolfe at nwlink.com
Tue Aug 31 10:59:17 PDT 1999

For Norman-French I'm not as familiar with the vernacular sources, and it
is an area not much covered in the library of the University of Washington
which is my primary archive.  It's a couple of hundred years before any of
the English ones I'm familiar with.

Although being an Icelander from mixed Norse/Irish stock of those who chose
to leave Ireland after the battle of clontarf it was much simpler to away
to the continent and then down to byzantium to learn Greek and work with
Dioscorides, and Aristotle as well as enough Latin to work with Pliny the
elder.

At 06:48 AM 8/31/99 , you wrote:
>Rauthulfr Meistari inn Orthstori
>
>> 1200 from what place?
>
>We hold of King John.  The richer lands are in Normandy and Anjou, but my
dower
>lands are in England between Oxford and Lincoln.
>
>> There are, for example,  several Herbals in Anglo-Saxon of which we have
>> copies from 900-1000 extant.
>
>Norman French is the language of the ruling class.  I understand the
villeins'
>language but prefer not to let on.  I am a noblwoman, not a leech.  I have
>considerable practical use of herbs, but for serious matters we consult the
>priest and, very occasionally, a physician in London.  The villeins have a
>leeches, mostly women of little learning, that they go to.  I don't
inquire much
>for I fear I'll find pagan practices and be duty bound to take disciplinary
>action.
>
>Surely it is much the same with you?
>Agnes
>;-)
>
>kkeeler1 at unl.edu

Rauthulfr Meistari inn Orthstori  (OL, MC, P-eX, Et Cetera)  An Tir A&S
Champion
or, non- SCA: Michael Wolfe M. A. I. S. AB-
*Practice Random Acts of Chocolate.....