HERB - Question?

Sheron Buchele/Curtis Rowland foxryde at verinet.com
Tue Aug 31 10:25:53 PDT 1999

At 10:24 AM 8/30/99 EDT, you wrote:
>So, is anyone harvesting from the garden?  Successes?  Failures?  Funny
>stories?
>
>Raisya (eagerly awaiting the fall weather to start gardening again)

Greetings to the List,

We have had an unbelievable year.  Colorado front range has been getting
all the rain that the rest of the country has sorely missed.  Usually it
rains in March, April, and May.  Then not again until September or October,
when it is snow.  We have had in some places double the rainfall, almost
like living in the Midwest.  We have actually had some humidity here.  We
are *not* used to that.

My garden is a riot of color and texture.  I haven't taken pictures yet,
but I must.  I have never seen it so beautiful.  Everything has done very
well.  My mini-roses are putting on a second bloom.  The comfrey is
thigh-high as is the basil.  The tomatoes are not yet ripening but there
are a frightening number of green globes lurking in the very lush foliage.
I was thinking that a tomato worm or two might be good to open up the
canopy a bit.  My calendula patches have been beautiful.  I have harvested
two pounds of dried calendula.  Which about 2 cubic feel of flowers!

One thing I have noticed is all the herbs having to do with chest colds are
being incredible productive.  I harvested mullien leaves this morning that
are 15" long and 9" wide.  The mallow has produced thick roots.  My
horehound is always insane (I have so very much wild horehound - please
come and dig some anytime you pass through!) so I don't count it.  A native
American plant, the gum weed has also made huge flowers - used to break up
gummy phlegm in the lungs.  I have yet to harvest it, but I need to.  My
thyme grown from seed this year has grown into a thick mat and is 8" tall.
I have a 10' triangular patch of it because I use a lot of it in various
things.  So I am squinting towards the winter suspecting a bad chest cold
and I am stocking up on the herbs that the garden is offering.

There is lots more but I *must* get to work.  The rain has been wonderful
for the garden but I am sorry to hear of all you who have been suffering
drought and are loosing your plantings.  I hope next year gets back to
normal for all of us.

health to you and yours,

Baroness Leonora
Outlands

Fox Ryde Gardens - Herbal Innovations for Health and Cuisine
7743 West First Street
Loveland, CO 80537
970/669-3835
Visit our website: http://www.foxryde.com
Send $2 for our new full color catalog, receive $2 off your first order

  Practice random acts of intelligence & senseless acts of self-control.