HERB - Heartsease and Rosemary

NIKI ARMANASCO narmanas at legalaid.qld.gov.au
Tue Aug 31 21:23:50 PDT 1999

Greetings to the list,

Heartsease:

I was recently gifted 4 heartsease plants, 3 with yellow and pale purple flowers and one with deep purple flowers.

Does anyone have any information about this plant?  I have heard that you can eat the flowers and that the rest of the plant can be used for "medicinal uses" but I havent found any specific information about it.

Rosemary:

I have ongoing problems with Rosemary and I would like to know if anyone has had similar things happen.

I have one Rosemary plant (blue/purple flowers) that I have had for about 5 years.  It has been in 3 different garden beds in that time (at different houses) and also a few different containers.  It doesnt matter what happens to this plant but it just stays alive through drought and flood and just plain being ignored.

I have NEVER had this type of luck with any other Rosemary plant - they all die.  I bought two lovely ones which would have had nice pink flowers if they hadnt died within a month of my planting them in the same bed as the other rosemary plant (big bed lots of room between them).

I have just bought two more rosemary plants from the Organic Growers Fair at the weekend. They appear to be a different type of rosemary as the leaves are longer, paler and closer together.

Does anyone have any advice for me on how I should treat them so that they survive?  If I dont have any luck with these ones I am going to concentrate on taking cuttings from the one I already had to see if they have the same amount of perseverance.

Thanks in advance

Morna of River Haven