HERB - Question?

NIKI ARMANASCO narmanas at legalaid.qld.gov.au
Tue Aug 31 16:47:25 PDT 1999

Elizabet,

It sounds like your proposed garden is in an ideal location, its no wonder the plants you already have in are thriving.

The herbs I try to always have in my garden are:

Basil, Sage, Parsley, Rosemary, Oregano, Thyme, Chives, Shallots, Mint, Marjoram

You can find these at most any supermarket, in either seed or sprout form if you dont have access to a nursery.

If you just happen to have some spare cloves of Garlic lying around it wouldnt hurt to pop a couple of them in too (pointed end up).  Not only do you get a whole head of Garlic in a years time you get to use the shoot the same way you use chives or shallots.  The shoot is significantly stronger tasting than chives or shallots however.

My choices of favourite herbs to have in the garden are due to the fact that I use a lot of them in cooking.  At one stage I wouldnt bother buying or aquiring a plant unless I could use it in cooking.  These days I actually have some plants in my garden whose only purpose is to be ornamental :)

Yours

Morna of River Haven