HERB - tallow making

Rhonda New rbnew at ftw.nrcs.usda.gov
Mon Dec 6 07:43:15 PST 1999

Unfortunately, I've not seen much fat on a deer.  In fact, we
usually have to add lard (pork fat) to the venison when we
make sausage, etc.
Otherwise, I would probably process it as I would beef, lamb,
or pork.  (I usually 'melt' the fat in a roaster in the oven at
about 250 degrees F. and pour off the liquid as it accumulates.
I didn't find that vile... in fact many times my family would
look in the oven expecting a roast or a brisket.)
I would also bet the saponification value would be very
similar to beef.
Have fun with your project.

/Ly Elizabeth Hawkwood
Elfsea