Lye Safety (was: Re: HERB - Jasmine's one bar soap recipes)

Mary Temple noxcat at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 14 08:41:28 PST 1999

Since we're talking about making soap, here's a link to the Canadian
equivalent of OSHA's guidelines on sodium hydroxide (lye).

http://www.msds.org/oshanswers/chemicals/chem_profiles/sodium_hydroxide/working_sod.html#_1_4

Now that I've scared you, it's really not too difficult. Just be sensible.
Eye wear and gloves are a VERY GOOD idea - even if they're just the $3
Playtex gloves some people wear when washing dishes. Avoid working with lye
in a humid environment like a bathroom - lye will pull the water out of the
air, and it's far more dangerous when wet than as a dry crystal. Carefully
clean up ANY spilled crystals.  Be sure to carefully wipe up any "water"
spills near where you're
working with the lye as it may not be straight water, and leaning on the
counter may cause you to get it on your skin and get a nasty burn. If you
get lye crystals or solution on your skin, rinse it with cool water
IMMEDIATELY, don't wait until you feel it, as it may be a while before you
do. And once you've used something for soap, it should probably never be
used for food.

We were very lucky on our first batch of soap - no lye burns. But then I
left the lye handling to the Chemistry major. :)

Lady Katerine Rowley
Bryn Gwlad, Ansteorra
mka
Mary K. Temple