Lye Safety (was: Re: HERB - Jasmine's one bar soap recipes)

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Tue Dec 14 08:49:20 PST 1999

Lady Katerine wrote:

>We were very lucky on our first batch of soap - no lye burns. But
>then I left the lye handling to the Chemistry major. :)

I'll second the safety precautions and double that with two statements
that will knock you out. A husband of a soap lady I know died from his
accidental ingestion of lye water. Always be sure others around you
know what you're doing and be sure to LABEL EVERYTHING. Second,
even the most careful precautions can result in injury. Some time
last year I made soap wearing a long-sleeved shirt, old work shirt,
old jeans, safety goggles, my hair up in a hat, and good rubber gloves.
I still ended up with THREE lye burns by the time I was done and I
was VERY careful. Little spills can happen when you least expect it.
A cat can startle you as you're pouring or the phone can ring. Learn
first aid treatment for these things. Even if you never plan to use
the skills.

Jasmine
iasmin de cordoba, gwalli at infoengine.com