HERB - Mold on canvas

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Tue Dec 14 12:03:12 PST 1999

At 12:57 PM -0600 12/14/99, Wendy Freeman/Otte wrote:
>From the tentguild at Ansteorra.ORG list.  Thought this list might be able to
>help - were there any mold-preventatives or mold-removers in the middle ages?
>I known a nutmeat (hazel?) was used to whiten linens.

Salt, vinegar, sunlight. Uh, lavender oil...thyme oil?...citrus oils, though
I'd have to check on where I read that one...

And Lyle the Philosopher wrote:
> > Also - we used untreated loomstate canvas, and encountered significant
> > mold problems at the spring Rowany Festival (it rained, and rained, and
> > for a change, rained a little more).  Is there any information out there
> > on period techniques for preventing or removing mold from canvas?

I think if I remember looking into this briefly, sunlight was
the popular one. More research would be needed to look into the
specific reference on attempts to remove mold, but most of
the reference I've seen (and my exposure is noticeably limited)
have consisted of whitening comments and references in herbals
that briefly mention removing fungus and such.

This probably doesn't help much as he was looking specifically to
find period reference, which I don't have on hand. But perhaps it
will spark someone else's knowledge on the topic.

jasmine
iasmin de cordoba, gwalli at infoengine.com