HERB - soap answers

Ann Lee ealee at smtpgate.dphe.state.co.us
Wed Dec 15 08:45:16 PST 1999

Thanks, so far,  to all the answers and info (and recipes) i have received.  I joined this list just a few months ago, and so am happy about the repeat recipe post.   And thanks for the tip about shortening, I was about to buy some to try it out ( I don't otherwise use it)
Anyone have any good sources for beef or pork fat?  Do the stores ever sell it separately from the meat?

> What did you use the mugwort for? <

I grow it in my front yard, and the scent is wonderful, and i have used it in essential oils before, and did not read anything to contra-indicate its' topical use. . . .  I guess that all boils down to "it was an experiment".

On the fragrance oils issue, I was also warned not to use them because they reputedly contain alcohol which will cause your soap to set up instantly.  I did have that happen on one of the coloring agents I tried, wound up with a bunch of purple ugly irregular-shaped balls of soap (the only thing i could do with it after it started to solidify in the pan, in less than 4 minutes).  useful, but ugly

Vinegar:  again, I was also told to use vinegar by my teacher because it is on the other end of the PH scale and would neutralize the lye, but have (luckily, so far) never needed to use it.  But I agree, vinegar (acid) in the eyes is _not_ a good idea.

Another question:  There is a mediterranean import store here, and i am able to get red palm oil, with or without seeds in it, as well as the white.  Has anyone ever used red palm oil?    I want to try to get some next month, and try it out.

Richenda