HERB - soap answers

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Wed Dec 15 12:42:33 PST 1999

In a message dated 12/15/99 2:54:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ealee at smtpgate.dphe.state.co.us writes:

<<
 Thanks, so far,  to all the answers and info (and recipes) i have received.
I joined this list just a few months ago, and so am happy about the repeat
recipe post.   And thanks for the tip about shortening, I was about to buy
some to try it out ( I don't otherwise use it)
 Anyone have any good sources for beef or pork fat?  Do the stores ever sell
it separately from the meat?>>

    Certainly, although this can differ a bit depending on where you live.
Here in sunny Meridies, for instance, I can get boxes of lard on the grocery
shelves, in the same area as the shortening. But beef tallow is not available
without special arrangements around here at all. In other areas my impression
is that it is the more common fat to find. Check around and see what's sold
in your stores!

 >>Another question:  There is a mediterranean import store here, and i am
able to get red palm oil, with or without seeds in it, as well as the white.
Has anyone ever used red palm oil?    I want to try to get some next month,
and try it out.

 Richenda

    According to some of the discussions I've heard it is perfectly fine for
soap, and might even give you a good color in the bargain. I haven't had a
chance to try it yet, as our Middle Eastern stores haven't had any so far
when I've checked. Oh, well--I'll forgive them a lot of omissions for the
selection of olives I can get! ;-)

                Ldy Diana